Matthew was elected as Deputy Chair of the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) in 2011. He was previously the CEO of Nhulundu Wooribah Indigenous Health Organisation Incorporated, the Aboriginal Medical Service in Gladstone, for more than 6 years. During this time Matthew served as the Deputy Chair and Secretary of the Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council (QAIHC). In late 2011 Matthew was appointed to the role of Indigenous Affairs Manager for Bechtel Australia, a renowned worldwide engineering, construction and procurement Company.
Matthew is a proud Aboriginal and South Sea Islander from the Bailai (Byellee) people in Gladstone.
Matthew is passionate about empowering and building the capacity of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations. Through improved governance and innovation, the Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Sector can sustain another 40 years. In 2007 he was named Young Leader in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, and in 2008 received the Deadly Vibe Young Australian of the Year award.
Matthew also serves on many other Boards, including:
- Founding Director of the Central Queensland Regional Aboriginal and Islander Community Controlled Health Organisation (CQRAICCHO)
- Native Title Applicant for the Port Curtis Coral Coast Native Title Claimant group in Gladstone Central Queensland
- Director Bailai Aboriginal Corporation for Land and Culture
- A Director of the Regional Development Australia Fitzroy Central West region.
– See more at: http://www.naccho.org.au/about-us/board/#sthash.sLCqJomE.dpuf